If you’re a fashion-conscious person trying to be more sustainable in your shopping choices, swimwear for summer vacation might be a problem.
For one thing, you want to invest in durable clothing that won’t go out of style anytime soon, especially with items you only wear a few times a year.
But at the same time, you want to look great on the beach, and trends are changing so fast these days that last season’s beloved bikini or swim shorts might be very unattractive by the time you’re shopping. suitcases for your next trip.
Luckily, this is an area where brands big and small excel, with eco-friendly swimwear, two-pieces and shorts offering on-trend, timeless styles to suit every taste, so you can shop guilt-free.
Here’s our pick of the best sustainable high street swimwear for men and women…
1. Pour Moi Cali Recycled Ring Underwire Swimsuit in Black, £48
From Pour Moi’s sustainable Cali range, made from 94% recycled polyester, this scoop neck swimsuit features tummy control underwires for extra support. Featuring trendy rings on the straps, it is available up to a G cup.
2. Champion Rochester 1919 Recycled Lycra Bikini Top, £17.60 (was £22); and low, £17.60 (was £22)
Adorned with a cool bandana print, this strappy bikini with high cut bottom (perfect for showing off your legs) is made from recycled Lycra.
3. Women’s Regatta Aceana II Tankini Top in Pink Fusion Palm, £14.95 (was £30); Women’s Aceana Bikini Shorts in Palm Fusion Pink, £7.95 (was £16)
This summer, the entire Regatta swimwear range is made from 100% recycled materials. We love the Aceana tankini, which comes in several colors and prints, from sizes 8 to 20.
4. Boohoo Nautical Recycled Padded Underwire Bikini Top, £15.30 (was £18); Boohoo Nautical High Waisted Recycled Bikini Briefs, £12 (was £15), Debenhams
Part of Boohoo’s sustainable Ready for the Future collection, this bandeau bikini with high waisted bottom and classic stripe print is made from 85% recycled polyester.
5. Asket The Linen Shirt in White, £115; The Swim Shorts in Cool Blue, £85
Asket specializes in minimalist designs that won’t go out of style, and these swim shorts are no exception. Available in four understated hues (black, navy, green, and blue), they’re made from 100% recycled materials, including yarn made from ocean plastic waste.
6. Pink House Mustique Mens Riva Red/Turquoise Swim Shorts, £126
As part of Pink House Mustique’s sustainability initiatives, its latest swim shorts for men and boys are made with a 100% recycled polyester lining, while the outer fabric is 53% recycled from plastic bottles. Choose from a range of jazzy prints including boats, birds and animals.
7. Arket swim shorts in green, £35
Available in six colors, Arket’s simply stylish three-pocket swim shorts are made from Econyl, a yarn woven from reclaimed fishing nets and nylon waste.
8. Randy Cow Sharks Men’s Swim Shorts, £65
Stand out from the crowd with a pair of Randy Cow shorts in a shark, octopus, flamingo or lobster print, all made with 90% recycled polyester.
The best videos delivered daily
Watch the stories that matter, straight from your inbox